New guidance for the 2022/ 2023 flu season was issued earlier this year, in March, stating that the NHS flu vaccination programme will be returning to “pre-pandemic recommendations”.
What does this mean?
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government expanded the eligibility for the NHS Seasonal Influenza (flu) Vaccination Programme to include those aged 50 to 64 and secondary school children. The new guidance confirmed that the following cohorts will now no longer receive free NHS flu vaccination:
- those aged 50 to 64 years
- secondary school children in Years 7 to 11 (between 11 and 15 years of age on 31 August 2022)
Anyone in these categories will therefore have to seek vaccination privately if they would still like to be protected.
Although many people think of flu as a minor illness, it can be an unpredictable one, easily causing severe or even life threatening symptoms. Although eclipsed over the past 2 years by the impact of Covid, the risk of serious illness or death associated with flu complications tends to be significantly higher than most people realise. Flu immunity is at an all-time low as a result of recent reduced transmission following social distancing restrictions, so it is quite possible we will see the resurgence of the flu this year.
An annual flu jab offers the best protection against flu this winter.
Don’t put off your flu jab because of this change!
What are the benefits of a private flu jab?
There are many benefits to private flu vaccinations. The 6 reasons we feel are the most important are:
- Guaranteed availability – no need to wait in long NHS queues
- Bring the whole family – we can vaccinate children & newborns as young as 6 months
- We offer a “walk in” service so you can just pop in when it’s convenient for you
- Wide variety of vaccinations available inc. egg-free, FluAd & nasal flu spray
- Get vaccinated by an expert flu nurse in a trusted, comfortable medical clinic
- We vaccinate from mid-September onwards so you can be protected sooner rather than later
If you would like more information on the types of flu vaccines that are available at Fleet Street Clinic this year, or to know more about the costs, visit Fleet Street Clinic Flu Jabs.
Alternatively, to book your flu jabs online, visit our booking system