Tag: anna chaoan
Hiking in Halifax or off-roading in the Rockies?
Despite the cosmopolitan cities on Canada’s coasts, the real allure of this country is the vast wilderness and countryside that lies between. Whether it be by hiking, camping, canoeing, or cycling, adventure travel in this country is on the up. When travelling to well-developed countries where healthcare standards are the same as our own, many travellers don’t consider travel health, nor taking first aid supplies or medications with them. However rich the country, travellers facing remote destination should always be prepared with some basic medications and supplies on hand to treat the most minor of injuries. First aid supplies can vary from a couple of plasters to comprehensive medical and trauma kit, and the kit you decide to take will depend upon what you intend to do whilst away.
Here is a guide on what to pack in your adventure medical kit:
- Cuts bruises scrapes and strains are the most common injuries when doing outdoor adventures.
- Take some antiseptic cream and waterproof dressings in various sizes and a few bandages in case of sprains or strains.
- If you plan on trekking, compeed blister pads and zinc oxide tape works wonders.
- Basic medications to relieve minor illnesses – painkillers, and antihistamines and antacids
- Tummy trouble can be tiresome. Take alcohol hand gel to keep your hands clean on the road, and medication such as loperamide and rehydration salts if you do get sick.
- Bug proof yourself. Midges can be present which cause irritation and some areas can have ticks which spread disease. Take repellent to prevent, and a steroid based cream in case you so get bitten.
- Take ample supply of any prescription medication you take regularly and carry the prescription with you in case you require replenishment.
The Fleet Street Clinic stocks travel sickness medication, travel vaccines and medical travel kits. Our experienced travel clinic nurses can help advise with any queries or more information on Canada.
Book a travel consultation appointment online.
By Anna Chapman | Travel Nurse | July 2018